HOMOEOPATHY IN MIGRAINE
Migraine is the commonest form of vascular headache. It is a collection of neurological symptoms that usually includes a severe throbbing recurring pain on one side of the head. However in 1/3rd of Migraine attacks, both sides are affected. It is more common in women and a family history is often present. Attacks begin in late childhood, adolescence and early twenties. Migraine attacks last between 4 – 72 hours and are often accompanied by one (or) more of following disabling symptoms:
- Moderate to severe pain , throbbing (or) pulsating pain
- Pain increased during physical activity
- Visual disturbances
- Extreme sensitivity to sound , light , touch and smell
- Motor abnormalities
- Autonomic disturbances : hypertension, hypotension, tachycardia, bradycardia, nasal congestion and peripheral vasoconstriction
- Psychological upsets , confusional states
Causes of Migraine :
- Underlying CNS disorders may set off a migraine episode when triggered .
- Irregularities in the brain’s blood vessel system (or) vascular system may cause migraine .
- A genetic predisposition may cause migraine.
- Abnormalities of brain chemicals and Nerve pathway may cause migraine.
- Hormonal shifts such as estrogen fluctuations are common migraine trigger in women .
- Stress at home (or) work can also cause migraine .
- Caffeine withdrawal symptoms may also cause migraine .
- Migraine can also be triggered by certain foods
Most common are :
- Diary foods , especially certain cheeses
- Foods with mono sodium glutamate (MSG)
- Foods with tyramine, which includes red wine , aged cheese , smoked fish , chicken liver , figs and certain beans
Brain of a migraine patient is particularly sensitive to environment and sensory stimuli migraine prone patient do not habituate easily to sensory stimuli.
- Types of migraine :
- Common migraine ( without Aura)
- Classic migraine ( with Aura )
- Menstrual migraine
- Migraine without headache (or) Acephalgic migraine
- Abdominal migraine
- Familial hemiplegic migraine
- Stages of Migraine : PRODROME STAGE
Migraine associated with Aura and without Aura
Aura usually occurs during or before a migraine .
Migraine associated with Aura which is primarily characterized by the transient focal neurological symptoms that usually precede or sometimes accompany headache.
Around 1/3rd of people experience an aura before the onset of a migraine. These are visual and sensory disturbances that typically last between 5-60 minutes.
They include :
- Seeing zig-zag lines , flickering lights
- Partial loss of vision
- Blind spots or blank patches in vision
Migraine without Aura : 70-80% of Migraines occur without Aura , more commonly , a person will experience a migraine without any sensory disturbance leading on to an attack .
Is Migraine curable ?
Yes , Migraine is completely curable with homoeopathy .
The Homoeopathic treatment for Migraine is based on individual case study of the patient, it’s causative factor , the genetic pattern , mindset . Case taking in Homoeopathy focuses on an in depth study of the person’s reactions to the environment around him. Each individual reacts peculiarly to his surroundings. There is an inherent proneness in every individual to present a disease pattern. These variations we find in the presentations of migraine with respect to the side affected, the circumstantial modalities, intensity of headache and various modifying factors. The speed at which the migraine evolves in a patient also varies thereby giving us pointers to a selection of the remedies.
This Homoeopathic treatment for Migraine is thus addressed towards correcting psychosomatic pathways and genetic disposition in turn treating Migraine from within.
Contrary to conventional treatment which is governed by the use of painkillers, antispasmodics.
More of symptomatic homoeopathic treatment is targeted at root level, which offers amazing result without any side effects.
Homoeopathy treatment in migraine is aimed at tackling the acute episode initially and also providing a long term relief by way of a constitutional treatment.
In Migraine, Homoeopathy is preventive in intent.
2. API textbook of Medicine
4. Harrison textbook of internal medicine
5. medlineplus. gov/migraine. html
6. physio-pedia.com/Migraine _Headache
2nd yr BHMS- JIMSHMC